Monday, September 1, 2008

We're Home!
















We arrived home early this afternoon. What an emotional/exciting time! Words can't even begin to express our emotions, only tears have come close.

So details about the labor and delivery:
We went in Friday morning at 7:30am. The babies were monitored for awhile and an ultrasound was done to make sure both babies were still head down. At 9:40am Dr. Brewer came and gave me some medication to help soften my cervix as I was not yet dilated. By 1pm I was dilated to 1cm. Instead of using Pitocin we choose to walk around as much as possible. By 6pm I was dilated to 4cm. Dr. Brewer then proceeded to break Joshua's water. During 1 and 6pm my contractions were getting harder and closer, about 2 mins apart or so. So at 7:30pm I had an epidural - thank God for that as my contractions were about a minute and a half apart and lasting for 90 seconds or so. By 10:20pm I was completely dilated and ready to push. 30 minutes of pushing and little Joshua had arrived. He was very alert, yet very mellow. He needed O2 for only 2 hours, amazingly! I was able to hold him moments after he was born, which was so....I dunno what words can even express the feeling...overwhelming love for him is one thing for sure. After Joshua was born, we waited for an hour to see if Saray would arrive on her own. She decided to flip transverse which made things a little difficult for a quick birth. Dr. Brewer broke her water and not shortly after that she went into distress, so in just a matter of moments I was being prepped to be rushed to the OR for an emergency C-section. I of course was praying the whole way and trying not to freak out about the possibilties. I was put to sleep for this part of the ordeal as my epidural had begun to wear off and I could feel the cutting...yeah just put me to sleep, thank you! At 12:10am on August 30th she was born breech but breathing and doing just fine.
So yep we had quite the adventure just with the labor and delivery. Did you catch that Joshua and Saray have different birthdays? Born different ways too. Just shows that God has a perfect individual plan and purpose for each of us.

I am holding up just fine, thanks to meds and rest. Nursing is going so-so. We're praying that Joshua gets a bit more aggressive with nursing and his latching on. Saray has done well since the first latch on. But with time things will improve...it's a learning curve for all 3 of us.

We're all doing great! So overwhelmed by God's goodness.

3 comments:

glow worm said...

I wish I could be there to see your beautiful children in person and to experience with you the joy at God's promises fulfilled. These babies will have a story to tell one day, and it's sure to be something worth hearing. Much love, my friend.

Anonymous said...

chels! they are both so beautiful!! i'm happy for you guys!

Jenny Sand said...

So awesome Chels! Enjoy these moments. I hear they fly by. :)